viernes, 23 de enero de 2009

It's Breetnee!

Today, we finished up our 2 week "intensive" Spanish course. Next week we actually start formal classes at the University. They're every day from about 9 until 2, depending on the day. Once the weather gets better, I will be at the beach everyday afterwards. Every day.

First thing's first. Carnaval. Last Sunday we had a little sneak peek into what it's going to be like. Carnaval is a week long celebration that happens at the end of every February. Everyone comes from all over just to see it and experience it. It's kind of like Halloween, but it lasts a week instead of one night. Everyone dresses up in costumes, and there's lots of beer and food and music and singing. Pretty much the coolest thing ever. So on Sunday, the whole city met up in the Plaza de San Antonio and kind of did that, minus the costumes. Since Cádiz is so close to the sea, they have a lot of seafood (go figure). We decided to be like the locals and try the sea urchins (little hard balls with spikes poking out, otters eat them). Bad idea. It tasted like I went up to the shore of the beach where the water met the sand, and then licked the sand, and immediately licked a dead fish. When in Rome... As the day went on, people moved towards the beaches and the streets, which is where we ended up as well. Before we made it to the beach, we passed through one of the streets, jam packed with people and drummers and everyone dancing. You literally cannot move through the crowds, which is fine, because it was really fun being stuck in the middle of it. I cannot wait for Carnaval.

Oh, and apparently, everyone here thinks I'm Britney Spears, because that's what everyone in the crowd was calling me. I guess it's ok now that she's made her comeback.

Other than that, we've all been trying to explore the city more. It's growing on all of us. I'm still waiting to get my USB cord from my mom so I can put up pictures, but it will happen. This weekend we are going to Sevilla, so I'm sure I'll have plenty more to talk about after that...

One more note. Mullets are back too. All kinds of mullets. Mullets with dreadlocks in the back, fohawk mullets, long ones and short ones. It's sick. And I don't mean in the good way.

Not like the ph phat.

I miss you all and love you lots!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario