miércoles, 28 de enero de 2009

Speak softly and carry a big pizza. So you don't get caught trying to eat the entire contents of a frigo.

Miercoles el 28...again

So...today we didn't have school. All of the year long program kids came back, so we all decided it was a good reason to all go out together. I didn't want to go out, because I was trying to get up and go running today, but I caved because I wanted to meet everyone and mingle. Always trust your gut.

We started out the night in a normal way, tintos in the plaza together (tinto de verano is a really popular drink here, essentially it's red wine mixed with a sweet sparkling water, it sounds sick, but it's really cheap and really good. If 8 people get the supplies to have a few drinks each, it's less than a euro per person. That saves money at the bars). So we were all chatting and slowly started moving along to Nahu, the guiri bar that we all go to. The night wasn't not fun, we got some free drinks because we've befriended the bartenders and bouncers there, so we were all having a great time. Somewhere in between there, a group of people left to go get burgers. AND DIDN'T TELL HALF OF US. Extremely disappointed. After a night of going out, usually all we want to do is have some good food, drink some water, and wake up ready for the next day, but by the time we realized people had left, everything was closed (Cádiz doesn't understand that people who have been drinking usually like to eat afterward. The bars are open til like 4...so...yeah. It doesn't really make sense). So, finally, Michelle and Lauren and a few of us had one free round before we left. I didn't really want it, because I don't really like hard alcohol, but we all did it. If you were to put an orange into a bottle of nail polish remover, that is roughly what it tasted like. Upon smelling the little shot glass before we drank it, we assumed that it was just a shooter (practically juice, very little alcohol) because it smelled like fruit juice. Well it wasn't, and upon realizing we had been duped, we all got really ANGRY. I DID NOT WANT TO DRINK THAT, THAT WAS DISGUSTING, LET'S GO LEAVE AND GET SOME FOOD BECAUSE NOW WE'RE ANGRY THAT THEY DIDN'T TELL US. That's what we kind of said. So, after standing outside and realizing that everything was closed, Marisa and I decided to go to my house, because my madre always has tons of food, and it's really good.

After stomping up 3 flights of stairs, Marisa suggested that we take our boots off, so we didn't make so much noise. My padres sleep really heavily, so I say "Marisa, don't worry, they CAN'T EVEN HEAR US." I proceed to kick off my boots, not quietly, and we get into the house. Awesome, everyone is sleeping, clearly, because it's like 3 in the morning. We put our stuff down and made our way down the hallway to the kitchen, which is on the other side of the flat from my room. AWESOME, we were in. I turned on the light and closed the door and started to lift the lids off of pots and pans on the stove, while Marisa started to stick her hand into a box of chocolate cereal. At this point, we hear a noise (when someone turns the light on in the bathroom, the radio goes on to. The radio went on). I kind of look at Marisa while I turn around with a pan of rice in my hand, and she's holding onto a box of cereal about to reach in, and my madre opens the door. We were two very hungry deer in the headlights. "Oye qué pasa? Tatatat tata?" At this point, she doesn't see Marisa, until I panic and look at Marisa, then she sees what is going on, kind of. She didn't meet Marisa yet, because people don't really have people over to each other's houses here. We were both kind of buzzed and completely taken off guard, so we couldn't really speak Spanish, or English. I'll translate.
Madre: Hey what is going on here? It's like 3 in the morning.
Me: Uhhhh... (look at Marisa and blow her cover)
Madre: Who is this?
Me: My friend who...
Marisa: From the program!
Me: The one who lives on Frances Shaw!
(Frances Shaw is not a real street, but Fernandez Shaw is, so I'm just fucking up all over the place)
Marisa: Yeah from the program!
Me: My friend!
Madre: Well ok...

As soon as she leaves for the bathroom, we put everything down, switch off the light, and sprint back to my room, where we proceed to look at each other and laugh so hard that we cry, and throw our arms up in a questioning manner, like, "What the hell just happened?"

But, considering I'm already weird, because I'm American, I guess it wasn't a big deal to her. So that's cool. She was just probably wondering why I need to eat more than she already feeds me.

Note to self: next time, smuggle the food BEFORE you go out.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario